Thursday 6 June 2013

The Blue Hat Blogs

So what are the Blue Hat Blogs and who am I writing them. In recent years the blue hat has become my trade mark whilst hosting at the Supanova Pop Culture Conventions, if you want to know more about them go here and have a look, www.supanova.com.au. But before them I was a fan, a promoter, a guest and of course an MC over the past 25 years.

The hat is here.


I attended my first convention in 1988, it was held in the Tower Mill Hotel in Brisbane Australia. The tower Mill had two interesting features, one being its revolving restaurant and the other the fact that the building was round.

The restaurant will feature later in a story of terror and amazement, but let’s talk about the hotel being round. The function rooms were located on the ground floor and had curved walls; this meant the further back you were in the room the less you saw of the main presentations. It also raised some interesting issues regarding static displays as the tables didn't quite fit properly.

But considering Brisbane was in the grip of Expo 88 at the time it all seemed perfectly reasonable.
Back to the restaurant.

I have long had a love affair with the works of Gerry Anderson, one of my favourite characters being that of Captain Scarlet, most likely because my acting is just as wooden, so for my first convention I went all out and arrived in costume as said puppet. I ventured forth to meet with others where I had been told.
Excuse the photo it is the only one I have

When you step out of the elevator doors at the restaurant our table will be directly in front of you. Do you remember I said it was a revolving restaurant? So there was a table in front of me but not full of people i knew.

This is where the terror and amazement comes in, I promptly wandered around till I found them. Terror on behalf of the other diner’s, amazement on behalf of those I was meeting.



That was my introduction to conventions, and I shall elaborate more of the good the bad and the amazing journey I have had in further blogs.

1 comment:

  1. It's great to read people's introduction to the world of science fiction conventions. My first convention was 1991 and haven't looked back. I have met so many friends and had great memories. I look forard to many more.

    ReplyDelete